Sunday, June 5, 2011

Drop the Garmin

From Running Times

"After I had got over the withdrawal symptoms of being without my monitor I noticed that I was tuning in to my body a lot more. I thought I was already very aware of what was going on, but it became apparent that I had 'delegated' oversight to the monitor. Without an external time/distance read-out I was forced to tune in to my pace, breathing, energy level, how my legs felt -- all of that -- and adjust things minute by minute to stay comfortable. Some days I found I was running very slowly, but it turned out that useful work was still getting done. Previously I would have been looking at the monitor and have been desperately trying to stay out of the so-called 'junk miles' zone."

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I recently had mine stolen and spent 2 weeks running without any read out, it was liberating to say the least. I forgot what it was like to stare ahead of me instead of looking at my arm every 10 seconds.

    Now I've got a new replacement Garmin and I'm making a conscious effort to only use it for interval work and to log my overall kills.

    ReplyDelete